Monday, March 1, 2010

Success!

This morning we got news that my command sponsorship came through! Just when I thought that it would never go through, when I was seriously contemplating writing a letter to my senator, it went through! I am very excited. This Friday we have an appointment with the housing office, and they'll be bringing us furniture and appliances. That is even more exciting (well, maybe it's equally as exciting as the whole "not-worrying-about-getting-kicked-out-of-the-country-after-my-90-day-tourist-visa-expires" part). And on an unrelated note, my hyphen license has just been revoked.

I am looking forward to start some "real" cooking. Today I had a little practice. I made spaghetti with alfredo sauce and fried chicken breaded with Italian seasonings and French's fried onions. (And all with only the use of a deep fryer and an electric skillet!) It was delicious, if I do say so myself. I'm trying to fatten Robert up (in case you couldn't tell), but I'm not sure if it will work as intended. I may end up only fattening up myself instead. I felt a great sense of accomplishment because not only did I successfully cook a yummy dinner, but I did it without a recipe in sight! Cooking has never been a strong point for me, and when I do cook, I am usually wedded to a recipe. I doubt I will ever be the kind of cook who never uses recipes, but I feel that learning a bit of flexibility in the kitchen is a good thing.

Anyway, since this blog is NOT called "Julia's Culinary Journey," I'll shut up now.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the command sponsorship! Very exciting!
    I'm not sure how much luck you will have in fattening Robert up. But I'm sure he is enjoying you trying!

    ReplyDelete